SDG 6 Action Space
“Our world as we know it and the future we want are at risk. Despite considerable efforts these past four years, we are not on track to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. We must dramatically step up the pace of implementation as we enter a decisive decade for people and the planet. We must connect the dots across all that we do – as individuals, civic groups, corporations, municipalities and Member States of the United Nations – and truly embrace the principles of inclusion and sustainability.” António Guterres, United Nations Secretary-General
Delivering the promise – Safe water and sanitation for all
SDG 6—ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all—is alarmingly off track. At the current rate of progress, the world will not reach the SDG 6 targets by 2030. Everyone must dramatically step up.
As part of the UN Secretary-General’s Decade of Action to deliver the Global Goals, accelerating progress towards the SDG 6 targets can yield immediate benefits.
All sectors of society will need to mobilize to generate the required transformations.
This is why the UN has launched the SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework – a unifying initiative that involves all sectors of society to speed up progress by improving support to countries.
Accelerating progress through action
Everyone has a role in solving the water and sanitation crisis. By recording and sharing actions we can review progress and use the latest evidence on what works, learn quickly from failure and adapt to changing realities. You can take action in two ways.
SDG Acceleration Actions
Want to see what change looks like? Browse ongoing initiatives and get inspired.
- Watch video recording of the launch event
- Remarks by the UN Secretary-General
- Remarks by the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs
- Remarks by the Chair of UN-Water President of the International Fund for Agricultural Development
- Remarks by the UN President of the General Assembly
- Remarks by the Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme
- Remarks by the Director-General the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Remarks by the Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
- Remarks by the Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Remarks by the Executive Director United Nations Children’s Fund
- Remarks by the Minister of Infrastructure and Water Management of the Netherlands
- Remarks by the Minister of Agriculture and Irrigation of Peru
- Remarks by the Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation of South Africa
- Remarks by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Tajikistan
- Remarks by Senior Vice President for Public Affairs, Science and Sustainability of Bayer AG
- Remarks by the CEO of Thirst