SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework – Action Space
The water and sanitation crisis is getting worse. The challenges we face are unprecedented and growing. We need an immediate and integrated global response to rapidly improve progress on SDG 6 – ‘to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all by 2030’.
There are many examples from around the world which prove that dramatic gains in water and sanitation are possible in just a few years and that some of the solutions are inexpensive, effective and can be quickly deployed.
The SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework is a new, unifying initiative that aims to deliver fast results at an increased scale. It is part of the UN Secretary-General’s Decade of Action to deliver the SDGs by 2030.
The five accelerators
The Framework, coordinated by UN-Water, is driven by country demand and will unify the international community’s support to countries to achieve SDG 6.
Action is driven by five accelerators:
- Financing. Optimized financing is essential to get resources behind country plans.
- Data and information. Data and information targets resources and measures progress.
- Capacity development. A better-skilled workforce improves service levels and increases job creation and retention in the water sector.
- Innovation. New, smart practices and technologies will improve water and sanitation resources management and service delivery.
- Governance. Collaboration across boundaries and sectors will make SDG 6 everyone’s business.
Play your part
Everyone has a role in solving the water and sanitation crisis. By recording and sharing actions we can review progress and use the latest evidence on what works, learn quickly from failure and adapt to changing realities. You can take action in two ways.
National governments and any non-state actors, record your initiatives as part of the SDG Acceleration Actions. These are initiatives voluntarily undertaken to accelerate the SDG implementation, individually or in partnership and are recorded on UNDESA’s online platform.
Want to see what change looks like? Browse ongoing initiatives and get inspired.
SHARE THIS PAGE
- Download the SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework
- SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework was launched during 2020 High-level Political Forum
“Our world as we know it and the future we want are at risk. Despite considerable efforts these past four years, we are not on track to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. We must dramatically step up the pace of implementation as we enter a decisive decade for people and the planet. We must connect the dots across all that we do – as individuals, civic groups, corporations, municipalities and Member States of the United Nations – and truly embrace the principles of inclusion and sustainability.”
António Guterres, United Nations Secretary-General