Regional Level Coordination
The United Nations organizes its Members States into five regions: Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, Western Europe, and Others. Coordination at the regional level is vital to meeting the specific water-related challenges faced by the countries in each of these areas.
The Expert Group on Regional Level Coordination
The Expert Group on Regional Level Coordination – established by UN-Water in 2019 – aims to provide a platform for discussing and pursuing regional-level coordination and collaboration towards SDG 6 and relevant related global policy frameworks.
Participants exchange regional information, knowledge, and experience and coordinate regional-level activities on the water, sanitation, and water-related issues that are being jointly pursued by UN-Water Members and Partners.
The Group also aims to provide a route through which UN-Water can interact with regional-level collaborative arrangements established by the United Nations Secretariat.
Functions of the Group
The Group performs many functions, including providing an open platform for information exchange, reporting to UN-Water on the preparation of regional forums, and supporting collaboration and coordination of key activities. Find out more in the Workplan and Budget of the UN-Water Expert Group.
Get in touch to learn more: firstname.lastname@example.org
mentioning [Regional Level Coordination] in the subject heading.
Membership is open to representatives from all UN-Water Members and Partners. The Expert Group is co-ordinated by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) and the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
Regional Consultation Reports
- ECLAC: Report on the Latin American and Caribbean regional process to accelerate the achievement of SDG 6
- Outcome document from the Arab Regional Preparatory Meeting for the Midterm Comprehensive Review of the Water Action Decade
- Outcome document from the Pan-European Regional Preparatory Meeting for the UN 2023 Water Conference
- Mid-Term Review of the UN Water Action Decade: Input from the Asia Pacific Consultation
- African Regional Consultations on the Mid-Term Review of the “International Water Decade of Action 2018-2028, TBC after 13-14 June 2022