SDG 6 Synthesis Report 2018 on Water and Sanitation
In 2015, UN Member States adopted the historic 2030 Agenda, setting universal and transformative goals and targets, and committing to working tirelessly for their full implementation. To ensure that no one is left behind, it will be vital to track progress towards the goals. This is why Member States follow-up and review the 2030 Agenda and its 17 goals every year at the High-level Political Forum (HLPF). This event facilitates the sharing of experiences, including successes, challenges and lessons learned. It also provides political leadership, guidance and recommendations for follow-up.
Every year at the HLPF, an annual theme helps an increased focus along with an in-depth review on a selection of SDGs. In 2018, SDG 6 on water and sanitation was one of the goals to be reviewed. To provide input to Member States on this goal, UN-Water produced the SDG 6 Synthesis Report 2018 on Water and Sanitation. This represents a joint position from the UN family on the global status on SDG 6 and other water-related targets. The report also explores the linkages within SDG 6 targets and the interlinkages between SDG 6 and the other targets and indicators.
The development of the report is financially supported by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Ministry of Infrastructure and the Water Management of the Netherlands, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) and the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
From 2 May to 14 September 2018, the findings and the report was discussed in a multi-stakeholder setting. Participants in the public dialogue focused on giving feedback on the report, the main messages that was brought to the HLPF and the way forward. The feedback on the UN-Water SDG 6 Synthesis Report on Water and Sanitation was presented in the SDG 6 Public Dialogue Report.
UN-Water’s publications can be divided into two main groups: the publications that represent all Members and Partners of UN-Water – the collective products – and the publications that are under the UN-Water umbrella but produced by groups or individual UN-Water Members and/or Partners – the related products.
Read and Watch
- SDG 6 Synthesis Report 2018 on Water and Sanitation
- Highlights from the report. (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish)
- Executive summary of the report. (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish)
- More about the production process in this presentation.
- UN-Water SDG 6 Public Dialogue Report (Executive Summary in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish).
- UN Deputy-Secretary General 2012-2016, Jan Eliasson, speaks about SDG 6 and the importance of review at a UN-Water event at the World Water Week in Stockholm.
- Head of Global Programme Water at the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Johan Gély, talks about driving increasing coherence and coordination within the United Nations family.