Progress on Ambient Water Quality – 2021 Update
Target 6.3 is: “By 2030, improve water quality by reducing pollution, eliminating dumping and minimizing release of hazardous chemicals and materials, halving the proportion of untreated wastewater and substantially increasing recycling and safe reuse globally.”
Indicator 6.3.2 monitors the proportion of bodies of water with good ambient water quality, as per national and/or subnational water quality standards and based on measurements of five water quality parameters that inform on the most common pressures on water quality at the global level.
This report presents the global status on ambient water quality and acceleration needs to achieve target 6.3 by 2030, based on the latest data on indicator 6.3.2.
In the 2020 Data Drive, 89 countries submitted data on the indicator. This is a positive sign, and although the number of submissions is important, it is only the first step. More submissions mean more countries engaged with the indicator, and more information is being generated and shared, and it is here that the real success lies. Collecting these data and making them available helps to trigger action targeted at improving water quality.
- Download the report
- Download the executive summary
- Progress on Ambient Water Quality Executive Summary Arabic,
- Progress on Ambient Water Quality Executive Summary Chinese,
- Progress on Ambient Water Quality Executive Summary English,
- Progress on Ambient Water Quality Executive Summary French,
- Progress on Ambient Water Quality Executive Summary Russian,
- Progress on Ambient Water Quality Executive Summary Spanish
- Download an infographic explaining the relation between Agriculture, wastewater and water quality
- Explore the latest data on indicator 6.3.2, by country, region and for the whole world.
UN-Water’s publications can be divided into two main groups: the publications that represent all Members and Partners of UN-Water – the collective products – and the publications that are under the UN-Water umbrella but produced by groups or individual UN-Water Members and/or Partners – the related products.