World Water Day 2022: Groundwater
World Water Day, on 22 March every year, is about focusing attention on the importance of water. This year’s theme ‘groundwater’, draws attention to the hidden water resource that has always been critically important but not fully recognized in sustainable development policymaking.
Under the title ‘Groundwater - Making the invisible visible’, this year’s campaign will explain groundwater’s vital role in water and sanitation systems, agriculture, industry, ecosystems and climate change adaptation.
The overarching message of the campaign is that exploring, protecting and sustainably using groundwater will be central to surviving and adapting to climate change and meeting the needs of a growing population.
World Water Day is just one of the ways in which the theme of groundwater is being highlighted this year, below are a few groundwater related activities in 2022:
- 9th World Water Forum: "Water security for peace and development"
- International conference: “Groundwater, Key for Sustainable Development Goals”
- Water Decade, High Level Water Conference, Dushanbe
- Side event High-level Political Forum (HLPF): “Climate impacts from cryosphere to groundwater”
- World Water Week
29 August-2 September
- 77th United Nations General Assembly: Debate of the Legal Committee on “The Law of Transboundary Aquifers”.
- World Toilet Day 2022
- UN-Water Groundwater Summit
For media and interview requests, contact us on: [email protected] mentioning [Media request] in the subject heading.
News and Media
Get the latest news from UN-Water; Understand what is happening around the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; Interact in our campaigns; Explore newly released publications and where events are taking place around the world.