Realising gender equality in the realisation of the rights to safe drinking water and sanitation
On Friday 24 June, the hybrid side event 'Realising gender equality in the realisation of the rights to safe drinking water and sanitation', will be hosted during the 50th regular session of the Human Rights Council.
Water is a precondition for life, and therefore, for the enjoyment of all human rights. To date, access to safe drinking water and sanitation is still a major challenge in many parts of the world. Climate change and pollution are putting already stretched water resources and services under further threat. Lack or unequal access to safe and clean drinking water and sanitation services disproportionately impact persons in vulnerable situations, especially girls and women. There is an urgent need for States to fast-track progress on SDG Target 6.2 and ensure safe and clean drinking water and sanitation services, including menstrual hygiene management (WASH facilities) for women and girls, and in doing so also honour their obligation to ensure equality and non-discrimination.
- Ambassador Lotte Kundsen, Head of the EU Delegation to the UN in Geneva
- Ambassador Indra Mani Pandey, Permanent Representative of India to the UN in Geneva
- Mr. Federico Properzi, Chief Technical Adviser, UN-Water
- Dr Bindeshwar Pathak, Sulabh International Social Service Organisation, India
- Mr. Pedro Arrojo-Agudo, UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights to safe drinking water and sanitation
- Ms.Reem Alsalem, UN Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Ms. Kelly Ann Naylor, Director, UNICEF / Water, Sanitation, Hygiene (WASH) & Climate, Environment, Energy, and Disaster Risk Reduction (CEED), Programme Group, and UN-Water Vice-Chair
The event will be moderated by Mr. Rio Hada, Development and Economic and Social Issues Branch, Focal point on the human rights to water and sanitation - OHCHR.
For media and interview requests, contact us on: [email protected] mentioning [Media request] in the subject heading.
News and Media
Get the latest news from UN-Water; Understand what is happening around the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; Interact in our campaigns; Explore newly released publications and where events are taking place around the world.