Online conference: Emerging pollutants – protecting water quality for the health of people and the environment
The UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization’s (UNESCO) Intergovernmental Hydrological Programme (IHP) and the International Water Resources Association (IWRA) will hold the UNESCO-IWRA online conference on “Emerging Pollutants: Protecting Water Quality for the Health of People and the Environment”, on 17-19 January 2023.
The online conference will highlight the ways the world can advance knowledge, research, and solutions for managing emerging pollutants to improve and protect water quality in a changing world.
The Conference objectives are to:
- Explore the impacts of emerging pollutants on water resources, considering technical and policy solutions to mitigate and reduce human health and ecological risks, bearing in mind increasing demand on water resources, as well as impacts of global climatic and demographic changes.
- Identify the appropriate water policies and technologies needed to motivate change in water management, business, and policy priorities to address emerging pollutants.
- Highlight the bold policy and institutional change needed to support the transformation in water management and policy and across other sectors to ensure better and more reliable water quality to protect human health and ecosystems.
- Showcase successful efforts of innovative, nature-positive, and technological solutions for improved water quality and reduced water pollution.
- Examine the life cycle management of emerging pollutants to find solutions not only at end-of-pipe, but also solutions based on a circular economy approach and working with industry, regulators, and local communities, as well as engaging all relevant stakeholders (including under-represented groups).
Participation is free for all, and all conference-related materials will be open access. Click here for more details.
For media and interview requests, contact us on: email@example.com mentioning [Media request] in the subject heading.
News and Media
Get the latest news from UN-Water; Understand what is happening around the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; Interact in our campaigns; Explore newly released publications and where events are taking place around the world.