In some regions, droughts are exacerbating water scarcity and thereby negatively impacting people’s health and productivity. Ensuring that everyone has access to sustainable water and sanitation services is a critical climate change mitigation strategy for the years ahead.
ChallengesHigher temperatures and more extreme, less predictable, weather conditions are projected to affect availability and distribution of rainfall, snowmelt, river flows and groundwater, and further deteriorate water quality. Low-income communities, who are already the most vulnerable to any threats to water supply are likely to be worst affected.
More floods and severe droughts are predicted. Changes in water availability will also impact health and food security and have already proven to trigger refugee dynamics and political instability.
OpportunitiesWater plays a pivotal role in how the world mitigates and adapts to the effects of climate change. An integrated view on water, the biosphere and environmental flows is required to devise sustainable agricultural and economic systems that will allow us to decelerate climate change, protect us from extremes and to adapt to the unavoidable at the same time.
Paris AgreementThe Paris Agreement brings all nations into a common cause to undertake ambitious efforts to combat climate change and adapt to its effects, with enhanced support to assist developing countries to do so. The agreement charts a new course in the global climate effort. Latest updates here.
- FAO: Climate Change
- IPPC (2008): Climate change and water
- IPCC (2007): Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007
- OECD (2013): Water and climate change adaptation
- UNICEF (2017): Thirsting for a Future: Water and children in a changing climate
- UNICEF (2019): For Every Child, Every Right: The Convention on the Rights of the Child at a crossroads
- United Nations (2020): United in Science 2020 Report
- UN-Water (2021): Summary Progress Update 2021: SDG 6 — water and sanitation for all
- UN-Water (2010): Climate Change Adaptation: The Pivotal Role of Water
- UN World Water Development Report 2009: Water in a Changing World
- WEF (2015): Global Risks Report 2015. 10th edition.
- WMO: World Climate Programme