High-Level meeting on the implementation of the water-related goals
Prior to World Water Day (March 22), a high-level meeting will be hosted online to inspire action while drawing attention to the 2021 theme: Valuing Water. The High-Level meeting on the implementation of the water-related goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda will be hosted on 18 March, 2021.
Water is essential for the survival and productivity of all life and ecosystems. Sustainable Development Goal 6 on ensuring the availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all underpins much of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Growing threat of water stresses in different parts of the world has far reaching consequences, impacting economic development, food security, health, ecosystems, energy production, poverty eradication and gender equality, amongst others.
The world is currently off-track to meeting the targets of SDG 6, and with only 10 years to go to achieve the SDGs, we need an immediate and integrated global response to rapidly improve progress on SDG 6. The United Nations, Governments and key stakeholders are fully behind the SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework which was launched during the HLPF in July 2020. This Framework is galvanizing the international community’s support around five key accelerators: financing, data and information, innovation, governance, and capacity development.
With the COVID-19 pandemic demonstrating the critical importance of adequate access to safe water and sanitation for preventing and containing diseases, and climate change increasing variability in the water cycle, the Decade on Water and Sustainable Development (2018-2028) must succeed. The meeting will seek to showcase solutions in various contexts, and also identify the lessons learnt and best practices in implementing the water related targets and goals.
The objectives of the high-level meeting are as follows:
- Raise global awareness among people on the importance and urgency of implementation of SDG6.
- Support the SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework, the recommendations of the High-Level Panel on Water and encourage announcement of actions in this regard.
- Identify gaps and obstacles in the implementation of the water-related goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda whilst sharing solutions from various contexts
- Highlight the urgency of the need for mobilization of resources and enhanced investment in the water infrastructure including in the context of advancing urgent action to promote water and sanitation as key to contain COVID-19 and build a more resilient and just future.
- Reinforce the role of partnership between the global, regional and national actors from different sectors to engage with water sector, share lessons and experiences, improve collection and allocation of resources and synchronize actions on water and sanitation.
- Access concept note and programme of the High-Level meeting on the implementation of the water-related goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda.
- Watch the recording of the Opening Segment on the High-Level Meeting on Water – General Assembly.
- Statements delivered during the High-level meeting.
- UN-Water Integrated Monitoring Initiative Summary Progress Update 2021 on SDG 6.
- SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework – Action Space.