18 March, 2019
Commemorating World Water Day, a pivot event will be hosted on 19 March 2019 at the Palais des Nations, home of the United Nations Office at Geneva. During the event, the United Nations World Water Development Report 2019 will be launched and the winner of the Stockholm Water Prize announced.
The webcast of the event may now be viewed on United Nations web TV.
World Water Day is an international day observed by the United Nations. It has been celebrated globally every year for more than 20 years following the United Nations General Assembly’s designation of 22 March as ‘World Water Day’ in 1993. In 2019, OHCHR and UNHCR lead the coordination of World Water Day under the theme of “Leaving no one behind”.
Agenda of the meeting:
Master of Ceremony
- Dr Maria Neira, Director, Public Health, Environmental and Social Determinants of Health, World Health Organisation
- Mr Olcay Ünver, Vice-Chair, UN-Water
- Ms Michelle Bachelet, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Mr George Okoth-Obbo, Assistant High Commissioner for Operations, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- HRH Princess Sumaya bint El Hassan of Jordan, UNESCO Special Envoy for Science for Peace
- H.E.Ms Emanuela Del Re, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Italy
- Ms Maya Ghazal, advocate for refugee rights
Launch of the UN World Water Development Report
- Mr Stefan Uhlenbrook, Coordinator, UNESCO World Water Assessment Programme
- Photo opportunity
- Mr Leo Heller, Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights to Water and Sanitation
- Ms Vanessa Godat Fakhry, Responsible of “Solidarité Internationale Eau” at the City of Lausanne
- Loïc Voisin, Senior Executive Vice President, Suez
Announcement of the winner of the Stockholm Water Prize
- Mr Torgny Holmgren, Executive Director, Stockholm International Water Institute
- H.E. Ambassador Michael Freiherr von Ungern-Sternberg, Germany
Please find the program for download here.