10 November, 2017
Water is a key component of ensuring climate action, and is an accelerator for multiple Sustainable Development Goals, including SDG 2 “Zero Hunger” and SDG 6 “Clean Water & Sanitation.”
Attendees at COP23 in Bonn are invited to join this side event bringing together panelists from around the world who are approaching climate action for water from different angles.
6-8:30pm Friday November 10, Meeting Room 4 in the Bonn Zone
Moderating the session with be Mr. Torgny Holmgren, Executive Director of the Stockholm International Water Institute.
- Welcome video message from the UN-Water Chair, Mr. Gilbert F. Houngbo Keynote by Ms. Safaa Bahije, Head of Cooperation and Communication Division, Secretary of State in Charge of Water, Kingdom of Morocco Panel discussion featuring:
- Mr. Alex Simalabwi, of Global Water Partnership, on “Enhancing Resilience of Communities to Climate Change through Water Resources Adaptation Planning at Catchment Level in Uganda.”
- Mr. Jorge Cifuentes, of University of San Carlos of Guatemala City, on “Adapting to changing climate conditions in the Lake Atitlan Region, Guatemala, through participatory water management.” (through Guatemalan delegation).
- Dr. Victor Hugo Alcocer Yamanaka, of CONAGUA, Mexico on “Integrated Drought Mananagement Programme: Research and Public Policy.”
- Ms Maria Weitz, of GIZ, on “Food security and poverty alleviation in a changing climate: Realizing the potential and managing the risks of solar-powered irrigation in the East Africa Region.”
- Dr. Anne Schulte-Wuelwer-Leidig, of International Commission for the Protection of the Rhine, on “Development of the vulnerability assessment and adaptation strategy for the Rhine basin – The Rhine Commission’s experience.”
- Audience Q&A
For more information, please contact: Vasundhara Jolly, UN-Water/UNDP